As the Russia-Ukraine war enters its 250th day, we look at the main events.
This is the situation as it happened on Monday, October 31.
- The United Nations, Turkey and Ukraine are moving forward to implement a Black Sea treaty with a transfer plan for 16 ships on Monday, although Russia has suspended participation in the treaty that allowed the export of Ukrainian agricultural products to world markets.
- Russia said on Saturday it had suspended participation in the Black Sea Grain Initiative program in July, which allowed Ukraine’s largest exporters to sell crops, following Ukrainian attacks on ships in Crimea.
- A total of 218 ships have been “effectively protected” as a result of Moscow’s move, Ukraine’s development ministry said on Sunday; analysts predicted that world grain prices would soar.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said that Russia is trying to create an artificial famine in developing countries, and called for a strong response by the UN and the G20.
- US President Joe Biden called the move “very outrageous”, saying it would increase hunger, while Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Russia was arming food.
- More than 9.5 million tons of corn, wheat, sunflower products, barley, rapeseed and soybeans have been exported since July when the wheat harvest began.
- Russia said Ukraine attacked its Black Sea base near Sevastopol with 16 drones on Saturday. It said the wreckage showed that the drones were assembled and operated by Canadians. The UN Security Council has been asked to meet on Monday to discuss the attack. The Reuters news agency could not confirm the report.
- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said Moscow used the blockade 220km (137 miles) away from the grain route as a “misinformation” to pull it out of the grain trade.
- The Russian news agency said the Ministry of Defense said that its army resisted the attacks of the Ukrainian forces in the areas of Kharkiv, Kherson and Luhansk. Ukraine was also accused of firing near the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, but said the level of radiation remained the same, TASS news agency reported.
- The head of the Ukrainian military in the east said that there are heavy battles near Bakhmut in the Donetsk region, and that the Ukrainian forces stopped the Russian attacks in two other parts of the region, in Avdiivka and Uhledar.